Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Moving More

When I typed this title, I was reminded of a MadTV skit. Just for laughs:



Seriously, though. Moving more seems to be the hardest part of this process for me. I'm a stay-at-home mom with two children under 3, so I do a fair amount of moving in a day. Even so, part of the new lifestyle I'm working toward involves more activity. For me, that means getting out, going for walks, riding a bike, maybe a short hike, even. I love nature, and being outside makes me feel healthy and alive, especially on a sunny day. I love getting exercise in one of its most natural forms - exploring the world we live in. It doesn't feel like exercise when the activity has a purpose other than fat-burning. Taking a walk while catching up with a friend, hiking to a beautiful waterfall, or walking just to get from Point A to Point B are all exercise, but it's sort of masked by another goal - hanging out with a buddy, exploring nature, or basic travel on foot. Somehow, that makes it easier for me.

Having two children, though, makes it harder. If you have young children, I probably don't have to tell you how much of a hassle it is to pack up a spirited 3-year-old and a 10-month-old in the car, stuff the double stroller into the trunk, drive to the park, unpack and assemble said stroller, and insert children. It may not sound that hard to some of you. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I've tried walking in our apartment complex, but it's very small, and the sidewalks end in weird places, forcing me to walk in the parking lot. It's not conducive to walking for exercise, although it can be done, I know. I'd walk through the surrounding neighborhood, but we live on a street that has no sidewalks, and most cars that use it seem to think it's an Autobahn of sorts.

For now, I'm just going to have to make in-home exercise work, with the occasional walk in the park. Exercise in my house is certainly better than no exercise at all.

1 comment:

  1. I have the wagon and double stroller and single stroller and bike trailer, and I don't get out with my 4 1/2-year old and 22-month old every day. Sometimes it's rainy or cold, sometimes they just do not want to go, sometimes I think I'll walk my preschooler to school, but I want to run an errand after dropping her off so I drive...

    I just started making an effort every day to do something, like, two days ago. Right now I am doing the repetitions I used to do with weights, but without weights. Just to move. Not to burn calories, but even what I'm doing is more than I've been doing, and the back of my arms could feel it this morning.

    So, I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete